Yes, UK license holders can drive in Cyprus with their valid UK driving license.
For more information read below
Yes, UK license holders can drive in Cyprus with their valid UK driving license. However, it is recommended to carry an International Driving Permit (IDP) in addition to the UK license as a form of identification in case of an emergency. The IDP is not a substitute for a driving license, but rather a translation of the driver’s license information into several different languages for easy comprehension abroad.
Here are some interesting facts regarding driving in Cyprus:
- In Cyprus, they drive on the left side of the road, similar to the UK.
- The legal drinking limit for drivers in Cyprus is 22 micrograms of alcohol per 100 ml of breath or 50 milligrams of alcohol per 100 ml of blood.
- Fines for traffic violations in Cyprus can be as high as €85 up to €1,000 depending on the offense.
- It is illegal to use a mobile phone while driving in Cyprus unless using a hands-free system.
- Road conditions in Cyprus can vary, with some rural roads being narrow and winding. It is important to drive with caution, especially during wet weather.
- Speed limits in Cyprus are measured in kilometers per hour (km/h): 50km/h in built-up areas, 80km/h on open roads, and 100km/h or 120km/h on highways, depending on the signage.
According to the Cyprus Tourism Organization, “Driving around Cyprus is relatively easy, as most roads are well maintained and signposted, and the island’s maximum driving distance is only about 250 km from east to west.”
Here’s a table summarizing the speed limits for driving in Cyprus:
|Built-up Areas||50 km/h|
|Open Roads||80 km/h|
|Highways||100 km/h or 120 km/h|
As William Faulkner said, “You cannot swim for new horizons until you have courage to lose sight of the shore.” So if you’re feeling adventurous, grab your UK license and IDP and explore the beautiful island of Cyprus by car.
Response video to “Can you drive in Cyprus with a UK licence?”
This video discusses driving in Cyprus, which follows the left-hand side of the road like England, Australia, Malaysia, Japan, and India. Renting a car requires an international driving license which is relatively easy to obtain. European licenses are applicable, but non-European countries’ drivers must have an international driving license. The speed limit on highways and motorways is 100 km/h, with penalties enforced for a 25 km/h over-speed. Although gas prices in Cyprus are low, drivers must not partake in eating or drinking while driving or drive under the influence of alcohol.
I found more answers on the Internet
Yes. You can legally drive in Cyprus with a full and valid UK driving licence. You don’t need an International Driving Permit, although it could provide extra peace of mind if you have one.